Tue 6 Apr - Fri 9 Apr
The night we arrive we try three guesthouses but find them full or expensive or without safe parking. So I call a missionary family my father had kindly put me in contact with. Within half an hour we're installed in a very comfortable missionary guesthouse on the European (colonial) side of town.
The next day I visit the Sudanese Embassy and get the very clear message that the Sudan border with Darfur is closed to tourists. Visas are only given out to those presenting an air ticket. Drivers will not be allowed into the region even if they have obtained a visa. This is understandable but disappointing. It means I shall ha ve to fly from Chad.
I have only three more weeks, and two more countries, to reach the Red Sea. Whatever travelling I do around Chad, I shall need extra time to return to the capital. In Chad there are practically no buses. “Public transport” means waiting and hoping to get a lift with a lorry. Timing is obviously unpredictable. If I plan to go anywhere I shall also need to build in contingency so as not to miss my flight. Time I cannot afford.
I decide to forego any further travelling around Chad and get a ticket for the next flight to Khartoum.